Did you know Grenada has had four flags?
The first flag specific to Grenada was a British Blue Ensign adopted in 1875. The flag of British Grenada features a blue field with flag of the United Kingdom in the top left corner and a badge in the centre right corner. The badge depicts workers in a sugar cane mill.
In 1903 the badge was changed to a ship on the sea with mountains.
In 1967 Grenada became a British associated state and a new flag was adopted. It featured a blue-yellow-green horizontal tricolour with a red-bordered white oval and image of a clove of nutmeg in the centre.
When Grenada finally gained full independence in 1974 a completely new flag was adopted. It features Two triangles of yellow and green, a thick red border and six gold five-pointed stars with a red disc and gold star in the centre with a nutmeg pod on the left side. The red colour stands for vitality, green for the agriculture, yellow for wisdom. The six stars on the border represents the six parishes and the red disk in the centre is the capital.
The flag was designed by Anthony C. George.
Check out our Grenada collection.