Support BME girls this Black Friday weekend
The Culture Club Shop is supporting the BeMe Project.
The aim of the project is to increase the aspirations of 1 million BME girls in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math related careers.
But there's a problem:
Unfortunately we live in a society of stereotypes and an unfair system that are holding BME girls back. It is clear that it is not based on their abilities but too many BME girls who, despite being brilliant, are not confident, and are unsure of their own potential to become the next leaders in Science, Technology, Engineering & Math.
As a result of this.
- Black women are under-represented in engineering and technology, they get paid less than their male or non-minority counterparts. Yet they achieve higher levels of competence in STEM related subjects.
- Another barrier is intersectionality, the influence of the interconnections of gender, race, ethnicity and socioeconomic factors on decisions about whether to pursue careers such as engineering
The BeMe campaign want to raise £16,750 that will help with the first stage of the project:
- Raise awareness by creating the #BeMe podcast
- Use the #BeMe podcast to train BME girls to create content and present
- Invite black women tech leaders to talk about their career journeys
- Create the #BeMe online mentoring network, which will inspire and empower BME girls by connecting them to a mentor and a network of professional leaders in the STEM industry
When you buy from the Culture Club Shop between Friday 27th - Sunday 29th November, you will also be supporting the BeMe campaign. 10% of your spend will go directly to the charity.