Making Saltfish Fritters / Fish Cakes / Accra
Saltfish Fritters Recipe
It’s Easter, so it must be time for us to soak our saltfish! On Good Friday we traditionally eat fish and that includes saltfish for breakfast, saltfish fritters and saltfish dumplings! If you fancy making saltfish fritters this Easter check out our recipe.
Makes 15 fritters
- 1/2 pound boneless salted cod fish
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon Adobo Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Baron Green Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ medium onion finely diced
- ½ teaspoon minced scotch bonnet pepper or Scotch Bonnet Powder
- 1 chopped spring onion
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 -1/2 cup milk or water
- Vegetable oil for frying about 3 cups
- Soak salt fish in water overnight or boil for 60 mins. Drain and finely shred fish
- Combine the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, Adobo seasoning, granulated garlic and sugar. Stir for about a minute then add onions, salted shredded fish, spring onion, scotch bonnet, green seasoning and egg
- Whisk until ingredients have been blended. Then add milk gradually starting from about 1/3 cup until desired thickness.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees in a dutch pot or frying pan.
- Carefully place spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry for 3-4- minutes, or until the fritters are crisp and golden-brown (you may need to do this in batches). Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- You may drain on paper napkin to remove any excess oil
Have a great Easter!